Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act of 2020
This is a comprehensive federal bill to address plastic pollution!
This bill would:
- Ban plastic bags, styrofoam cups and carry-out containers, and plastic utensils.
- Require minimum recycled content for drink containers and 0.10 deposit on each
- create “extended producer responsibility” — requiring producers to “design, manage, and finance programs to collect and process waste that would normally burden state and local governments.”
- ban the U.S. from exporting plastic waste to developing countries
- halt construction of new plastics facilities, pending new EPA regulations
In the Senate, it’s currently in Finance committee, on which both Sen. Casey and Sen. Toomey sit. Neither Casey, nor Toomey have signed on to co-sponsor as of yet. (it currently has 8 co-sponsors)
Casey (202) 224-6324 Toomey (202) 224-4254
What to say:
My name is ______ from Pgh, PA, zip code ________. I’m calling to ask Senator ______ to co-sponsor and otherwise support the Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act of 2020 (S.B. 3263).
The House version of this bill is H.R.5845 – Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act of 2020. It is currently referred to the Water Resources and Environment subcommittee. Unfortunately, no PA representatives serve on this subcommittee. However there are 60 co-sponsors in the house for this bill, NONE are PA reps.
Call/write your representative:
What to say:
My name is ______ from Pgh, PA, zip code ________. I’m calling to ask Representative ______ to co-sponsor and otherwise support the Break Free From Plastic Pollution Act of 2020 (H.R. 5845).